In the centre of the market square, the town hall immediately stands out with its red façade. Construction work ran from 1504 to 1514 and the town hall is still today the seat of the Basel government and parliament.
After Basel joined the Swiss Confederation in 1501, they wanted to create a representative parliament building and spared no expense. Government buildings had already stood on the same site, but they were destroyed in 1356 during the Basel earthquake.
Specially suitable for
Roof top, Highlights with a view