Squares, Parks and Playgrounds
The National Botanic Gardens are an oasis of calm and beauty. The 19.5 hectares are located beside the Glasnevin Cemetery. It is Ireland's seventh most visited attraction.
The gardens were founded in 1795 by the Dublin Society in a land given by the Irish Parliament. The original purpose of the gardens was to advance knowledge of plants for agriculture, medicine and dyeing. Throughout the Famine (1845–1847), research to stop the infection was undertaken at the gardens.
Today, the Botanic Gardens are managed by the Office of Public Works. And they hold 20,000 living plants and many millions of dried plant specimens.
Do not hesitate to visit:
- The Palm House (greenhouse). Built originally in wood in 1862 to accommodate the collection of plants from tropical areas. It was replaced by an iron structure in 1883. And restore in the early 2000s.
- The Curvilinear Range (greenhouse). Completed in 1848 by Richard Turner, and extended in the late 1860s.
- The glasshouses: the Aquatic House, the Fern House and the Cactus House.
- The Orchid collection.
- The vegetable garden.
- The National Herbarium. The collection contains some 20,000 samples of plant products, including fruits, seeds, wood, fibres, plant extracts and artefacts, collected over the garden's two-hundred-year history.
You can, also, take a stroll to the Glasnevin Cemetery and learn a bit more about Irish history!
Specially suitable for
Families with teenage kids, Roof top, Highlights with a view, Families with young kids (0-10), When it rains