KölnTourismus-Shop , Kardinal-Höffner-Platz 1, 50667 Köln, Deutschland
1. Kölsch beer, which is brewed according to the German Purity Law and is served exclusively in the special Kölsch bars. Traditionally, a Kölsch glass is 0.2l, but beware: the waiters in the breweries, also known as "Köbese", have a somewhat particular manner that can seem unfriendly to tourists. If a glass is empty, a fresh Kölsch is put down. You can only show that you don't want to drink any more by putting a beer mat on the empty glass.
2. The pedestrian zone in Cologne city centre lets you go for a relaxing shop without annoying fumes. Driving is prohibited on Schildergasse and Hohe Strasse, the two main shopping streets.
3. "Halver Hahn" (literally "half a chicken") is a popular snack in the local pubs and breweries. But anyone who thinks they're going to get a juicy chicken is mistaken. In Cologne, "Halve Hahn" refers to a rye roll ("Röggelchen") with butter, a large piece of Gouda, pickles, and mustard. A great snack between meals.
The fastest option: by taxi. The journey takes about 15 minutes. Cost: about €27.
Cheapest option: With the S-Bahn line S13 to Köln Hauptbahnhof. The S-Bahn runs every 20 minutes. The journey takes about 15 minutes. It costs approximately €2.80.
Taxi: +49 221 28 82 (TaxiRuf)
To explore the whole of Cologne, I recommend a KVB ticket. A single ticket is valid for 90 minutes and costs about €2.90. For 4 or more trips, it’s worth getting a day ticket, which is valid until 3 am the following day. Cost: ca. €8.60 for adults.
- Food specialties of the city: Himmel un Äd (black pudding with mashed potatoes)
- Drink specialties of the city: Kölsch beer
- Typical meal times: lunch: 12-14:00; evening: 18-21:00
- Tipping: 10 per cent, but not mandatory
- Is the tap water safe to drink? Yes, though a bit hard.
- A cup of coffee at a restaurant: €2.50
- A lunch menu at a restaurant: €10
- A ride in a taxi (cost/km): €1.70 per km
Where to go out:
Ehrenfeld (especially students). This district is where you'll find the Club Live Music Hall, among others, which is listed as a highlight by MyCityHighlight.
22:00, but most locals only go out partying from midnight.
Live Music Hall, Lichtstraße 27-33, 50825 Köln, Deutschland
City centre, Schildergasse, Hohe Straße. This district is where you'll find the KölnTourismus shop, among others, which is listed as a highlight by MyCityHighlight. You will also find international chains.
Usually Mon.-Sat. Open all day (10am - about 8pm), closed on Sunday.
KölnTourismus-Shop, Kardinal-Höffner-Platz 1, 50667 Köln, Deutschland
Schildergasse, Schildergasse 91-93, 50667 Köln, Deutschland
Rewe, Lidl, Aldi
- Laws: no open drinks on public transport (€40 fine)
- Going through a red light is prohibited (€5)
- Throwing rubbish on the floor is prohibited (up to €500 fine
Hello/Good day: Joden Daach
Thank you: Danke
You're welcome: Bitteschön
With the help of the filter "With free wireless" you find highlights that offer free wireless.
Alternatively, you can enjoy free WiFi on the largest squares in the city, such as Rathausplatz, Willy-Brandt-Platz, Alter Markt, Heinrich-Böll-Platz, Roncalliplatz, Ottoplatz, Heumarkt.
Town Hall , Rathausplatz 1, 50667 Köln, Deutschland
Roncalliplatz, Roncalliplatz 4, 50667 Köln, Deutschland
Heumarkt, Heumarkt 42-44, 50667 Köln, Deutschland
Alter Markt, Alter Markt 59, 50667 Köln, Deutschland
Renting a bike is pretty easy in Cologne. The main operators are KVB, Ford Bikes and Donkey Republic. All services can be used 365 days a year. All you need is a single registration. This can be done via App or in case of KVB bikes by calling the hotline or directly with the Bordcomputer, which is integrated in the bike.
You will easily find free bikes around typical tourist spots or transport hubs and you can leave it at any crossroad within the service area. The costs for Donkey Republic bikes are 1,50€ per 30 minutes or 12€ per day. With our voucher: MYCITYCOL you can save 10% when renting a Donkey Republic bike!
Cologne offers countless places to get a great breakfast. No matter if you long for a typical hearty Cologne breakfast or cute Cafés which serve delicious Smoothie Bowls and Matcha Latte, I'm sure you'll find your perfect breakfast spot!
Café Theater im Bauturm, Aachener Straße 24, 50674 Köln, Deutschland
Extrablatt, Alter Markt 28, 50667 Köln, Deutschland
Früh am Dom, Am hof 12
Balthasar Café | Restaurant | Cocktailbar, Aachener Str. 18, 50674 Köln, Deutschland
Café Belle Chic, Lütticher Str. 6, 50674 Köln, Deutschland